• Federico Luzzi, born 3rd January 1980 in Arezzo, Italy, started playing tennis at the age of 3, when he picked up his father's raquet... He took his first steps at Tennis Club Arezzo and at only 10 he began his amazing career as a Junior, winning Under 14 and Under 16 European Championships, 1 World Championship and numberless Italian titles.
    He turned professional in 1999. He got his first important result in 2000, during the ATP tournament in Kitzbuhel. He had his breaktrough season on the ATP circuit in 2001, winning the first two challenger titles of his career to finish TOP 100 in ATP Entry System for first time ( No. 96 ) He began the year with first career Challenger crown in Mombai. In April, made Davis Cup debut and won first rubber 14-12 in five-set marathon. In september came the second crown in Brandisi Challenger.
  • In the Davis Cup, he played against Croatia of Ljubicic and Ivanisevic in World Group playoff... 2002 begun brilliantly with the best ever ATP ranking ( No. 92 ) but unfortunately in February Federico suffered a seriuos injury to his right shoulder which, from then on, would set a limit to his career. Following years were so difficult he nearly decided to stop playing owing to persisting physical problems.
    Coach Umberto Rianna and his former master Carlo Pini gave him the essential help to win again. 2005 showed highlights as a great exhibition of himself at Australian Open as a qualifier, losing only 6-4 to Marcos Baghdatis in 5 sets. The end of 2006 brings a comforting series of excellent results that takes him back among first 150 Top Players. In January 2007 Federico starts with a resounding success that makes him get No. 104 in ATP Ranking.
  • A new stop, due to his naiveté in betting on many sports, even tennis matches, when ATP suspended him for 200 days with a 50.000 $ fine. Investigations declared he never changed a result or got money from this activity, but the stop was confirmed. He came back in September 2008 playing Napoli and Todi Challenger in his native Italy.
    He started easily, but 2 hard matches lost at third showed a strange weakness, initially ascribed to inadequate training. His last time on court were september 19: he tried to play, feverish and with a headache, but had to retire. Immediately he flew back to Arezzo, where was treated in Hospital for double pneumonia. Further examinations revealed tragic reality: killing leukaemia. He was waiting for kemio, but on Friday night he suddenly became worse and fell into coma.
    He died Saturday 25 at 3 p.m., at the age of 28.